Congratulations to the University of Texas-Pan American for winning 1st prize in the 2014 Up to Us college campus competition. The five-student team from UTPA will be recognized by President Bill Clinton at this year’s Clinton Global Initiative University meeting, to be held March 21-23 at Arizona State University in Phoenix, and will be awarded a $10,000 cash prize.
In addition to the top prize, prizes of $2,500 each were also rewarded to the following schools for their successful work in several categories:
- Participant Engagement (highest number of students engaged via Facebook, events and civic engagement): University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Creativity: Rice University
- Extended Reach (beyond students on campus): Illinois Institute of Technology
- Rules & Participation (adherence to campaign parameters and best use of programmatic resources): Northwestern University
- Building Awareness (best use of content for fiscal education): University of Texas at Austin
Up to Us is sponsored by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, CGI University, and Net Impact. Twenty-two student-led teams from schools across the country designed plans to educate, engage and inspire action on the challenges the U.S. faces from rising long-term national debt. Teams participated in a five-week challenge that gave a voice to young leaders on fiscal issues. The winning teams were picked by a panel of judges that included George Stephanopoulos, Chelsea Clinton, and former U.S. Senator Olympia Snowe.
Want to keep abreast of fiscal developments? Sign up for our email newsletters.